What are QR codes?
QR codes (“quick response codes”) are bar codes readable by mobile phones. A QR code contains information such as a URL, V-Card data, or an SMS message. Mobile phones can read the QR code information by using a decoding software, usually in the form of a QR code reader app. QR codes are a great way to link physical printed material with digital.
Create your own black-and-white QR codes for free using Google. Here’s how:
- First, shorten your URL: Go to http://goo.gl/ and type in your URL. Press “Shorten URL”.
- Second, copy and shortened URL and paste it into the browser. Add “.qr” to the end of your new URL and press “enter”. That is your new QR code!
- Third, test your QR code by scanning it with a QR reader.
How do I scan a QR code?
Install a free QR code reader app on your phone. Select an app from your phone’s app store. Open the QR code reader app, scan the QR code, and the URL will open in the phone’s browser.
QR code readers we like are:
Scan (iPhone, Android, and Windows): http://scan.me/apps/
QR Code Scanner Pro (Blackberry): http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/13962/
Where can I put QR codes?
You can put QR codes pretty much anywhere! Here are some ideas:
- business cards
- brochures and flyers
- window clings
- car decals
- direct mail
- product packaging
- online videos (see how we used a QR code at the end of this video here: http://youtu.be/d4uT9Yy0nNw)
- product giveaways
- trade-show banners
- print ads
How can I use QR codes in my business?
QR codes are so exciting because they bridge the gap between digital and physical. When you place a QR code on a brochure, for example, your customers can scan the QR code and immediately be taken to your website for more information, coupons, video demonstrations, a newsletter sign-up form, etc.
- link to your Facebook page (increase your page likes, interact with your customers, give your Facebook list special discounts, heads-up on new products, services, etc.)
- link to Twitter (where your customer can follow your business for latest news, product announcements)
- link to Pinterest
- link to your virtual card so your customers can store your contact information in their phone
- scan to display a message
- scan to instantly connect to a Wi-Fi message
- link to an online survey to gather information from your customers
Why should my business use QR codes in our marketing?
QR codes are more than interesting (and in our case, gorgeous!) little images, they can:
- track the success of your QR code campaigns with analytics: number of scans, geographic data, time period, etc.
- send instant messages
- add contacts to your phone
- increase the interactivity between your business and your customers!
Make the most of your QR code! Tips here:
- You need a mobile-friendly site. (We can help you with that! ) If your QR code takes you to a website that is not mobile friendly, your visitors will quickly leave your site.
- Include a benefit to encourage people to scan your code, such as a coupon, discount code, or a video that is viewable only by scanning.
- Shorten the URL of your link with a URL shortener (such as this one: http://goo.gl/ ). Shorter URLs make for simpler QR codes.
- Encourage potential customers to scan your QR code with a unique QR code design! Take a look at our gallery for inspiration.
How can I get a Unique QR Code?
Chiao loves to take simple black-and-white QR codes and transform them into unique, eye-catching codes. Incorporate a logo, company colors, even an image. Contact us to discuss how we can create a unique QR code for your business.
How can I create a QR Code Campaign?
We can help you! Contact us or telephone us at 250-317-1360 for more information.